sheet music and audio tracks
the 2020-2021 TMEA All-State Audition Packet and the audio tracks with drum and improv files are available at TMEA.org
- Fri, Oct. 9th by NOON (NO late entries allowed): hard deadline to enter students into the contest
- Sat, Oct. 10th, 10:00 AM – Wed, Oct. 14th, 11:59 PM: dates students submit recordings
- site: online (due to COVID-19) – Music First platform – details and instructions coming soon
- fee: $17.50 per entry – paid to your campus band program
- (students may audition on more than one instrument – e.g. on tenor and bari sax, or bass and guitar, etc. – two entries=$35, three entries=$47.50)
- Thur-Fri, Oct. 15th-16th: directors verify recordings are accurate through Music First platform
- Sat-Sun, Oct. 17th-18th: judging occurs through Music First platform
-per region 18 band division policy, at least one director from each high school campus is required to judge the contest
-make checks out to: “TMEA Region 18 Band Division”
-mailing address: Ponder East, TMEA Region 18 Jazz Coordinator, LBJ High School, 7309 Lazy Creek Dr., Austin, TX, 78724
students will be adjudicated – online – with like instruments by a panel of 5 judges
round one: each student performs Etude One (75 points possible)
round two: each student performs Etude Two (75 points possible)
round three: each student performs Etude Three (75 points possible)
round four: each student performs the Region Improv Etude, with a backing track (75 points possible)
more about the improvisation – there will be a track on Music First to play along with – the play-along track will be the Region Improv Etude mp3
you will play 4 rounds also, using a backing track on Music First for the first three rounds, and then playing the four styles by yourself for the fourth round.
what happens if i make a band?
congratulations! students who place in Jazz Band One (the top group), plus the drummer from Jazz Band Two, will be expected to record for the State Level Audition. you will perform the etudes again using the Music First platform, this time playing the State Level Improv. detailed instructions with timeline TBD
there will be virtual region clinics with guest artists. details coming soon.
directors, please send me an email if you have suggestions or questions – email@example.com